FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Submit your programming proposal and become an integral part of Farhang's annual Nowruz celebration at LACMA
LOS ANGELES, CA, July 15, 2015 - Farhang Foundation invites artists, writers, directors, and performers to create a dynamic and immersive theatrical experience in honor of Nowruz (the Iranian New Year).
We are calling on talented and creative individuals to submit proposals for performing arts pieces that visualize the story of Nowruz. Eligible submissions will be considered as the central program featured during our 8th Annual Nowruz Celebration, taking place on Sunday, March 13, 2016 at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA)'s Leo S. Bing Theater.
Farhang's annual Nowruz event at LACMA is the foundation's signature program, which in 2015 attracted over 10,000 visitors to the museum. Since 2008, Farhang's Nowruz celebration has thrilled visitors with a diverse array of activities and performances, at the heart of which is a theatrical and/or musical production that offers a glimpse into the time-honored celebration of Nowruz.
Past programs include:
The Sounds of a Persian Spring by Zohreh Jooya (2015)
Spring Love by Ziba Shirazi (2014)
The Dawn of Spring by Shahin Yousefzamani (2013)
Celebration by Hamid Saeidi (2012)
When Hope Arrives by Houshang Touzie (2011)
The Persian Rite of Spring by Niloufar Talebi (2010)
Zal & Rudabeh by Anna Djanbazian (2009)
We are seeking Performing Arts pieces (theater, music, dance) that explore the origins, history, and/or themes of Nowruz, presented to a diverse audience, including those who are unfamiliar with the traditions of Nowruz.
To participate, please submit your proposal by clicking here to download the proposal template.
The proposal should include:
- A brief synopsis or summary of the piece, outlining the discipline, performers, and main theme, as well as a proposed production schedule and budget.
- An artist statement and bio or resume, with current contact information.
- Two visual samples of previous works (video or images).
- Eligible proposals must be original, and able to be performed on stage before a live audience.
- Qualifying artists will be contacted by Farhang Foundation to discuss next steps. All proposals and supporting material must be submitted to Nowruz@farhang.org with the subject Program Proposal by September 1, 2015
- Previously performed productions are preferred.
- The piece must be comprehensible to a non-Persian speaking audience.